Friday, February 5, 2010

A really loooong day(s)






It all started Thursday our time. We had an 2:00 appointment at the U.S. consulate to pick up Lisi's passport and visa. From there we bussed to the train station and checked our bags and headed to Hong Kong. The train ride was nice but we were all very tired and upon arrival in H.K. we still had a 45 minute bus ride to the hotel. We got to the hotel and they told us to leave our bags and the bell boy would bring them up. By 11:00 I still had no bags and had to go hunt them down. I slept off and on till 7 a.m. then off we went to the airport. It is conveniently attached to the hotel...or maybe the hotel was attached to the airport. They made me check my guitar with baggage. grrrrrrr. We went to the Burger King in the terminal and had some breakfast. Then through security. We moved on through customs then to the gate. Lisi did as well as we could expect through the flight and became a U.S. citizen at our first port of entry in San Francisco. That required a trip through immigration, then we had to get our bags and go through customs, then we had to RE-check the bags, then through security again. There was EXTRA security and I got to be close friends with an agent....he was gentle. Having disappointed him by not concealing any weapons on or in my body our relationship came to an end. Then we went to find our gate to head to Eugene. We made it back fine. Lisi HATES the car seat. We are home. We are tired. The kids are having a blast.

5 comments:

  1. Shayne and Michelle, you are amazing. Shayne for your writing ability (who knew?) and Michelle for your beautiful smile through it all and your patience. The trip from the Eugene airport must have been nerve wracking with Lisi not liking the car seat. And how to explain to someone her age "Kid, you're in the US of A now and you MUST sit in a car seat! The others had to so do you."
    So glad you're home safe and sound and now the next part of your journey through life with that precious little girl and your other kids to show her the ropes. I just hope she's taken to them by now as much as she's taken to Dottie (I phoned her this evening while Lisi was sitting on her lap). Take care and keep those wonderful blogs coming!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. SO exciting! We are thrilled that you are all safely home. It chokes me up each time I think about little Lisi finally be a U.S. citizen. Yay! We can't wait to see that little girl. What did she think of her brothers and sisters? Aunt and Gram? Fender? Can't wait to hear all about it, but we know you are exhausted. We really appreciate you blogging tonight. I had to get on just to see if you did! Love you all!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the update, Shayne! I know you're all three exhausted, but I'll be Wes, Devon and Taylor are still bouncing off the walls and so excited to have you home. Thanks for all the blog posts -- it really helped us all to feel like we were part of the experience. And tell my sweet little nieces and nephews (I know, the boys aren't little) that I will see them in 20 more wakeups!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so glad you're all home safe. I remember that long, long, long trip home. We also had the same issue with car seats. It seemed to pass after a few days. I've so enjoyed reading about your adventures, and have cried a few tears of joy for you all as you welcome Lisi into your family. God bless you.

    ReplyDelete