Friday, January 22, 2010

Were in Beijing!

Well the flight was no problem.  I didn't even need happy pills.  Yay me.  We got off the plane and proceeded through the health inspection, and customs.  We then followed the baggage claim signs which ultimately led us to board a light rail train.  We were unsure that was the right thing to do but we jumped aboard....along with about 1000 other people (and they just keep packing on weather there is space or not.).  We rode the train and found the exit for baggage claim.  We found our bags without problem and zipped through customs. We found our guide at the baggage claim exit and soon boarded a passenger van with 2 other families and headed to the Novatel Peace Hotel.  After settling into our room I discovered the power adapter I purchased will not work with my laptop (so this might be the last update until we find a power adapter).  We then took a stroll down the street in front of our hotel and found a restaurant to eat a small dinner.  Shell and I shared a plate of pan fried chicken wings.  They were served on a bed of spicy crumbly stuff and were good.  The waitresses didn't speak any English but we figured everything out with lots of pointing and gestures.  Then our waitress stood by our table pretty much the whole time we were eating.  She was very cute and nice, but it was a bit uncomfortable.  On the way back to the hotel a lady followed us for almost a block trying to get money from me.  She was holding my sleeve and saying "hello....hello..." and various Chinese fraises I of course didn't understand.  We made it back to the hotel and cleaned up and finally went to bed around 1:00 a.m. our time.   My body told me "Time to get up, you've slept until 9 a.m.".  So at about 1:30 a.m. here I sit blogging in the hotel lobby with a near dead battery.   Beijing is cool.  Such an interesting blend of old and new.

No comments:

Post a Comment